A grassroots community organization, the BRAT is focused on discovering, enjoying and taking care of the Black River in Windsor County, VT.
As a grassroots organization, Black River Action Team is responsible for:
- Annual River Sweeps: Began in 2000 with 4 volunteers, covering 100 ft of river. Now dozens of volunteers covering miles of river across several towns.
- Over 500 shopping carts, along with innumerable tires and other debris, removed from riverbeds.
- Monthly water sampling at 14 sites and “Adopt a Swimming Hole” program.
- Environmental education and citizen science projects.
- Recruiting and managing over 300 volunteers.
- Engaging students, adults, and families to address river issues and expand educational opportunities.
- Discovering underground storage tank spewing fuel; working with State to remove it and contaminated soil.
- Working with Town and Black River Produce to monitor effects of large diesel spill.
- Stream monitoring in proposed development areas.
- Ongoing force for bank stabilization and habitat improvement efforts post-Tropical Storm Irene.
- Starting a “native nursery” on donated land, growing own plants for bank stabilization.
- Cleaning up at parades to prevent trash entering river.
- Starting program to capture and recycle waste fishing line at public recreation access point.
101 Perley Gordon Rd
Springfield, VT 05156 USA